Friday, February 1, 2013

Faithful Friday Linkup

 
This is way out of my comfort zone, since I always think I'm not wise enough to make profound statements about God.  But, faith in God is being able to push yourself to do things that you know make you uncomfortable.  So, here goes.  I'm linking up with Simply Clarke for Faithful Friday.
 
 
Simply Clarke 
 
 
"Therefore, my brothers,[a] whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.
Exhortation, Encouragement, and Prayer
2 I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. 3 Yes, I ask you also, true companion,[b] help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
God's Provision
10 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. 11 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

 
These were the verses from my devotion this morning.  I'm doing the Soul Detox plan on YouVersion.  It's also the devotion that is going on at She Reads Truth.  I'm a little behind on it, but that's okay because as long as I'm doing it, that's all that matters to God. 
 
The first few days of this devotion have all been about toxic relationships.  It has explained that:
 1) Our thoughts matter.  Because out thoughts are what determines the person you become.  And that a lot of people have toxic thoughts rather than thoughts that focus on God's truth.  I was completely convicted while reading this.  Sometimes, I tend to overreact to certain situations.  And, a lot of time my thoughts aren't always caring and kind the way God wants them to be.  I want to be more aware of my thoughts, and if they are pleasing to God.
 
2)  This day was about teaching how to battle your toxic thoughts.  The battle is like none other.  It is not a physical battle, but a spiritual one.  And, the battle can not be successful without God's help in the fighting.  It then prompts you to think deeper about the causes of the toxic thoughts in your life.  Mine usually come from other people, and striving to be perfect at everything I do. 
 
3)  There are four categories our toxic thoughts can fall into.  Negative, fearful, discontented, and critical.  Most people struggle in more than one category.  The deeper you let them into your life, the harder they will become to do away with.  I have struggled with all four at some points in my life, and it definitely is hard to get away from them the longer you let them take over your life. 
 
4)  And day four says that after identifying what the toxic thoughts in your life are, you have to battle them by replacing those toxic thoughts with God's truth.  And, the best place to find his truth is in His Word.  Basically, it is saying to let your life be consumed by the Gospel and believe everything in it to be true.  If you let God handle your toxic thoughts, everything will work out for good, and you will be at peace throughout the process.
 
I am loving this plan and devotion series so far.  It is making me think and analyze my thoughts.  It also teaches how to get rid of them, which has been a wonderful experience so far.
 
What issues do you have with toxic thoughts?  Or, what other devotion series are you doing?

Going off of another Link-up I'm trying to do this month the 30-day Scripture challenge.  This is with Cat at This Little Life of Mine.  Here is today's verse for stress:
 
Hanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from new people, and appreciate every comment that is left.